Saturday the 14th of February, 2015

And so this is the very first post of the year! It has been a while since I last updated my diary, and now it is better late then never.

Last year was an exceptionally busy year, and from the very first day of January, I expected no less of this year either! After all my Christmas services were over, I thought I could sit down, enjoy myself and relax. However, this was not the case. My duties as a singer in my local church where I live resumed, with a cathedral visit, standing in for the vacant choir. We were, to use a phrase, on point. With everything the right volume and tonal balance with ourselves and with the organ, physically sitting high above us, we filled the cathedral with our voices in beautiful harmony. All this was done in what was nearly complete candlelight with a ginormous Christmas tree round the corner - it all set quite the scene, of Christmas a few weeks previously.

It is now the middle of February, and my timetable seems to ever fill every waking hour with activity upon activity, task upon task and menial housework on top of all this. As well as all the usual orchestral work I undertake, I am musical director of an operetta company. With rehearsals for a few hours on Monday, Thursday evenings, and Saturday afternoons for the cast; and Saturday evenings for the pit orchestra rehearsals - the work load only seems to increase. Sorting out a cast of twenty and heading an orchestra of the same size, organizing and managing and completing admin work, is no mean feat, after each rehearsal, I travel home exhausted. Only, I know that the end cause will be a success, for all the hard work I put in now will reflect in the performances in mid-march. At the end of the day after rehearsals, I get in bed with a cup of freshly made tea and pore over rehearsal notes and the full score for improvements and tweaks that I can make in the next rehearsal - the show has become my life. For another five weeks, I must live, breath and sleep the show; until that glorious moment of relisation that for a few weeks, I can rest. Well that is until the next big project starts - a series of concerts that I have been asked to perform in. The life of an artiste is a busy one, but ultimately, it brings joy to the hearts of many, and that is the fundamental reason, for me, as to why I am a musician.

This year has not disappointed me in love either, and for the first time in a very long while, I can enjoy the delights of February the 14th, as a happy man with a beautiful partner. We had known each other for many many years, but as every sentimental film goes, had never "talked". So after performing in a concert together on Christmas Eve, we went for a drink and to talk on the years of conversation we had missed. And so after exchanged numbers at the end of the night, we carried on talking. This then developed into a full scale game of verbal tennis, firing well placed shots of dates and deep meaningful conversations. "The rest as they say, is history", is how the saying goes, but sadly is not the case for us, as she lives three hours away from my house in the north.Trust my vulnerability to emotionally attach myself to something which on paper is impractical, my partner and I work it out as it happens, whilst constantly making sure we are both happy and comfortable.

Although only approximately eight weeks have passed in this year so far, so much has occurred, that I have not had one single moment to sit down and write to you, the reader, so I apologise in the rushed and hasty nature of this. So for now, I turn over and bid you good night!

The (somehow not so and at the same time ever) Lonely Artiste.


No comments:

Post a Comment