Monday, the 16th of June, 2014

After having contemplated on my last meeting with the acquaintance I made, I decided to make a trip abroad from my study, into a break away from the menial tasks that surround my daily being. After having returned home, I packed a small change of clothes and the usual pen and manuscript. I tidied up the kitchen and turned in for the night.

The next morning, I awoke at dawn, and set off on my journey. Travelling through the many changes of scenery was particularly good for my soul which I feared had become tired of the monotony of working all day, every day from my study. Seeing the changing landscapes around me, from flat land, to lakes, to mountains and snow gave a renewed sense of purpose that I presumed I had previously lost.

My almost month-long sabbatical I spent in the lakes and mountains and valleys was a great relief to my musical being, taking inspiration from the rolling mountain-sides and peaceful lake-sides. This I would then take with me in my soul and write vast orchestral-scapes to reflect the grandeur and sublime power of the outdoors that only the mountains and lakes can afford to offer. I spent the days walking, pausing only for food, all the while taking in the beautiful and impressive vistas surrounding me. In the evenings I would cook for myself and write; spending the night times catching up on the sleep which I lose on the average working day.

At the end of the week, I packed up my belongings, left the warm cosy cottage, leaving the armchair by the fire to return to the plain and empty state that my soul and house exist. The country had offered a rest for my soul, providing me with the revitalisation of energy that I had so desperately needed. Upon returning, I inked up my scores which I had written in pencil in the mountains the month previously. After having toiled on this, I put down my pen, and once more placed the freshly inked papers onto the piles of paper which cover my study floorboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment