Sunday, the 7th of December, 2014

It is the final few weeks of the year, and one week before this city is left by most of the student populous which will result in a relatively quiet city for a month. Alas I will not be here to appreciate it as much as I could do as I myself are visiting my parents back home for a short while. Christmas is a time that one should not spend alone. As a result of this, in my youth when I lived with my parents, we would always take mince pies and carol books along to the lonely elderly to give them comfort and company, mince pies and carols. This resulted in a friendlier and closer community, as I can only imagine the terrifying world of having lost a love one and oneself being the only one to console with about it.

Two more concerts left of the year in this city before all the multitude of Christmas services begins. Every year, a hectic slalom between churches and services begins as soon as I arrive at my parents. The preparation to have all the preludes and postludes ready by then needs to start now if I stand any chance of being the standard I need to be - no less than utter perfection. As an organist, my Christmas repertoire consists of perennial and congregational favourites and lesser known pieces which often take the limelight over these more popular pieces. I have almost decided my Christmas eve and Christmas day postludes - a chance to both literally and metaphorically pull out all the stops. With an aim to have a large congregation and large choir all uniting in the annual timeless classic Christmas carols, I will firstly need to practice to oblivion but also give the organ builders a call to give the organ a good tune. Oh the joy of being an organist! Still, after the Christmas Day services - I plan to sleep, after about no less than 6 services in the space of 24 hours.

The weeks ahead will prove strenuous. And now to begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment